Lower School Highlights
The lower school curriculum consists of:
- the infusion of grace through participation in daily Mass
- a Religion program faithful to the Magisterium, the Faith and Life series, which presents Catholic teaching using the time-tested ecclesial methodology and spiral development of catechesis in a beautiful, student-friendly, comprehensive format
- a fully integrated Math program balancing mastery of fundamental skills through the spiral review and Math Facts of Saxon Math (each class is a full grade level ahead) with critical thinking and problem-solving through the use of Singapore Math Word problems
- a complete English Language Arts program which helps student develop important reading and writing skills through Saxon Phonics, Shurley Grammar and Composition, Spelling and Vocabulary, while inspiring a love of literature through the reading of novels and non-fiction.
- an emphasis on proficiency in reading, which is essential to all other studies, through the utilization of the Accelerated Reader Program at every grade level
- the inclusion of a handwriting program, which plays an important role in literacy development, using the Writing Our Catholic Faith series at all grade levels, introducing in the second grade the lost art of cursive
- a Science program which balances hands-on experiments with the systematic study of terms and concepts in life, earth, and physical sciences. Students are taught the unity of faith and reason, understanding that God create the world and all matter out of nothing, and how it manifests His wisdom, glory, and purpose.
- a History program—with integrated topics in geography and civics—opening young minds to far-off lands, and distant times, emphasizing the story in history (Story of the World series, grades 2-5)—a story that includes not only great men and women but also everyday people, demonstrating the ways humanity and societies change and/or persist over time to better understand the human condition and our role in the world
- an emphasis on Sacred Music, answering the Second Vatican Council’s order to preserve and foster the great treasury of church music, beginning with Gregorian chant. Our lower school students learn the Ward method, a progressive method of teaching elementary school children – through vocal instruction – music theory, composition, and conducting. The lower school instructor, Mrs. Amy Zuberbueler, is a certified instructor of the Ward Method at The Catholic University of America: http://musicasacra.com/music-pedagogy-for-children/ward-method-instruction/
- the introduction of the Latin language, with the recognition of Latin as the official language of the Church and the hallmark of Western Civilization
- an integration of Art into every grade level, introducing students to great works of art from different cultures and eras, while engaging them in creative activity
- an emphasis on a healthy lifestyle through daily participation in Physical Education at all grade levels
- an understanding of our call to service to the wider community, with involvement in volunteer opportunities, such as raising funds for our sister school in the Holy Land, doing Chores for Charity, and participating in the service programs of the school and parish
- Before and After School Care